I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too!



Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Easy "I'm not kidding" Cushion Covers

I am NOT a seamstress!  I can sew a straight line and that is about all you need to do to make these cushion covers.
The original posting was here:

http://thehappyhousie.com/?p=3061

These pictures will show you my take on it.
After Christmas I thought...where am I going to store these new holiday pillows I got.  Hmm, hide them in plain site, just cover them! 
I had a piece of fleece leftover from one of my Mom's projects and it was just the amount I needed.

My pillows measure 15" X 15  1/2"
I cut each piece of fleece to 15 1/2 X 41  1/2"



Now fold a 1" hem at each short end. Luckily with fleece the material doesn't fray so you don't have to worry about that.



Iron the edge and sew up the 1" hem at both ends.

Now fold the material and overlap by 9" with the rough edge of the 1" hem up.  With this material you don't have to worry about the inside or outside of it, pattern is the same on both sides. See easy : )


Now fold the other side over top by 11  1/2"



Sew a hem along each opened side.



This is what it should look like at this point.



Turn it inside out and tuck your cushion inside. You want it tight so that you don't have a saggy cushion. Here's the before and after.

And next Christmas I'll just have to take the covers off.
This is so easy I might even make different covers for different times of the year.

I tried this idea to recover another cushion. It was a little trickier, but it turned out ok I think.
My husband has this "King of the Remote" cushion, but the back of it is all tattered and you can see the piping coming off here.



So I took it apart and salvaged the front panel.  I washed it and ironed it flat along with a piece of black material.



Here's where I had to figure out the inside and out of it.  I pinned it first to see if I had it the right way before sewing.


I made the back the same as the original pattern, overlapping so that I could just tuck the stuffing in. No zippers for me!
And here's the finished product.  



No comments:

Post a Comment