I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Monday, June 16, 2014

Bakery Style Cake from a Box

I've seen this method all over the place and finally decided to try it.  It's pretty good!  Start with any boxed cake mix you like. No name or name brand....it doesn't matter. 

Add an extra egg than what they call for on the box, replace the oil with melted butter, replace the water with half & half (10 %) cream and add 2 tsp vanilla.

It seems to give you a little more batter.  I made 2  - 8 inch rounds and 6 cupcakes out of each mix.  In the picture below you can see that  2  of the 8 inch rounds are a bit deeper and 2 more shallow, but that was just for a recipe I was trying.

(I'll freeze the cupcakes for later when I'll be posting a cupcakes and chocolate sauce recipe. Stay tuned.)

Oh and here's a little trick you might not have known about for cutting a cake for layering.  Take a length of string, wrap it around the cooled cake where you want it sliced, cross it over and gently pull.
It'll go right through the cake, I find alot easier than a knife,
and you're ready to make your layer cake!


You might like to try:
⬇️

No comments:

Post a Comment