I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Friday, November 21, 2014

Asian-Inspired Pineapple Pork Chops

I had this nice fresh ripe pineapple sitting on the counter. But you could also use canned pineapple.  Reserve the juice from the can and you won't have to use orange juice like I did here. (It's what I had in the fridge. Of course you could buy pineapple juice)

9 boneless pork loin center cut chops
1 fresh pineapple, sliced (or canned pineapple)
1 red pepper
1 large onion, sliced
6 green onions, sliced

Sauce:
1/2 cup soya sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice (or orange)
1/4 tsp thyme
2 tsp fresh minced ginger
4 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsps brown sugar or honey
1 tbsp olive oil

Find a pan that will fit your chops in a single layer, about a 9 X 13 size or there about.  Spray with cooking oil and layer sliced onion across the bottom of the pan.  Lay the pork on top. Mix the sauce ingredients together and spoon half of it over the meat. 
(Note: brown sugar makes a darker sweeter sauce, see later)
Next layer pineapple, red pepper and green onions
and pour over the balance of the sauce.
Cover with foil and refrigerate a few hours.  
Bake covered at 350 F for 45-60 minutes.
Uncover and raise the temperature to 400 F for another 15-20 minutes, spooning juices from the pan over everything.
If you want a nice brown finish, broil 5 or so minutes.
It was too dark in my kitchen by the time I finished so this pic is not great. Sorry  : (
Serve with fried rice.

This is how it looked using brown sugar instead of honey. Also I used canned pineapple with pineapple juice this time.
I decided to change the cooking method a little as well.
Covered with foil at 350 F for 2 hours, then increase heat to 425 F and uncover for 30 minutes.
I took 1 tbsp cornstarch, mixed it with a little cold water, then ladled in some of the sauce into a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil to thicken and add back to the pan for a dark glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment