I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Saturday, November 15, 2014

Tomato Cage Christmas Tree

I have seen a lot of these on the internet so, of course, I had to try my hand at it. Here is a step-by-step

All you need is:

a large pot
a couple of clothes hangers
50 mini light string, 11 ft in length
a garland or two
decorations (bows, pinecones, etc)
and, oh ya, a tomato cage.



Once my plants were finished for the season I cut them back and stood the tomato cage, upside-down, in the dirt.  To secure it in place, cut hangers to make hooks
and press them around the bottom ring of the cage, into the dirt.
Now take a garland and, starting at the top, twist together the 3 legs of the tomato cage,
and continue wrapping the cage.  As you work your way down, bend the garland wire to attach to the cage here and there.
It kind of looks like Charlie Brown's tree right now, but don't worry.  Add more garland (or mesh or burlap) and then twist the light string around your tree.
At this point I attached ribbon (the one with the wire edges) to the top of the tree. I took a febreeze can and rolled the ribbon around it to curl.
Add your decorations and tuck in some pinecones.
You can put a big bow on top or use a tree topper.  I took 3 smaller bows and gathered them together like this.
So....not bad eh?  It doesn't look like Charlie Brown's tree anymore. With a little love.......... and only about 30 minutes of your time you've got an original little Christmas tree. I can't wait to see it lit up.













No comments:

Post a Comment