I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Baked Two Spaghetti Squash

Here's my attempt at eating healthier.  I first got the idea from @youthfulcooking on instagram who topped his rigatoni with spaghetti squash. Well I didn't want to give up all my white pasta right away so a half and half dish sounded like a good idea. I only used half of the spaghetti squash here because I hope to try something new with the other half soon.

Ingredients:

1/2 spaghetti squash
1/4 lb spaghetti
1/2 onion, sliced
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
couple of mushrooms, sliced
1  1/4 cups tomato sauce
olive oil
1  1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley
basil and oregano

Cut the squash in half and scrape out the seeds.
Wrap the extra one in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Or if you want to use it all just double the rest of the ingredients. Microwave for 10 minutes on high. No butter or oil.  Once cool enough to handle use a fork to shred the "spaghetti" away from the peel.  It comes away very easily.
Reserve the empty squash shell.
While you are waiting for the squash, cook the pasta.
And fry up the onion, garlic and mushrooms in a little olive oil until browned but still firm. You can sprinkle on some basil and oregano if you like.
Toss the two spaghettis together using two forks to pull the squash apart.
Mix in the tomato sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella.
Spoon back into the squash shell.  I had so much filling that I had to also use a small baking dish sprayed with cooking oil. Top the spaghetti with the fried veggies
and the remaining cup of mozzarella.
Bake in a 350F oven for 20-30 minutes.
Broil the top a couple of minutes if you want it browner.
Sprinkle with parsley.
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment