I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Thursday, January 29, 2015

Sour Cream and Onion Potato Salad

Ok, I know it's January (almost February) but I was missing summer, so I made some potato salad and made believe we were complaining about the heat outside today.

4 large potatoes
1/2 onion
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
1/2 tsp celery seed
2 tbsps relish
1 hard-boiled egg
1 tbsp chives
1 tbsp bacon bits
salt and pepper to taste

Cut potatoes in bite sized pieces, put in a large pot of salted water, cover and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, leave covered 5 more minutes. Drain. Cover with cold water. Leave until cooled a few minutes then drain well.
Toss with vinegar. 
Chop onion and pour boiling water over to cover. This takes some of the bite out of the onion.  You can skip this if strong onion is what you like. Sit 5 minutes and drain.
Mix together sour cream, mayo, celery seed, relish, chives, bacon bits, salt and pepper and fold into potatoes.
Add chopped hard-boiled egg and drained onion.
Garnish with more hard-boiled egg and bacon bits.
I feel warmer already!

No comments:

Post a Comment