I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Thursday, May 21, 2015

Turkey Pot Pie meets Sheperd's Pie

I had some leftover turkey, but I didn't feel like making pastry for a pot pie.  Hmmm......what to do? So I thought mashed potatoes, that'll work!

5 potatoes, cooked and mashed
4 cups cooked turkey (or chicken)
2 tbsps olive oil
2 chopped carrots
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 chopped onion
1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
398ml/14 oz can creamed corn
1 tsp thyme
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp flour
paprika

Heat olive oil in a skillet and lightly fry the carrots, celery and onion until tender. Add the cilantro and thyme.
Whisk together the chicken broth with flour, then add to the skillet.  Cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add the creamed corn.  I could have made a layer of corn like a sheperd's pie but thought it would be good to just stir it in.

Don't forget to add the turkey.
Prepare an 8 cup casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon into the casserole and top with mashed potatoes. You can spread them in or pipe them in.  I chose to use an ice cream scoop.  This worked well.
Sprinkle a little paprika on top and you're ready to go.
Bake in a 425 F oven for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
If you want to crisp up the top, broil a couple of minutes.
It's not a pretty dish, but it's full of flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment