I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Friday, September 4, 2015

Red Wine Strawberry Raspberry Pie

This pie has a rich shortbread-like crust with a deep red berry filling enhanced in flavour and colour by the red wine.
(Now I've got UB40's "Red, Red Wine" playing in my head!)

Crust: 
1/2 cup butter or marg
3 tbsps sugar
1 cup flour

Filling:
2  1/4 cups strawberries
2 cups sugar
1  1/2 cups water
1/2 cup red wine (I used cabernet sauvignon)
85g box raspberry jello

This is how I checked the amount of strawberries I'd need. Could probably have used a few more, but this was ok. Raspberries would have been good here and there too.

I cut the larger ones in half, but kept the small ones whole. Once cut they measured 2  1/4 cups.

For the crust combine the butter, sugar and flour and press into a greased 8" pie plate.
Bake at 375 F for 10 minutes. Cool.

For the filling mix the sugar, water and red wine together in a saucepan. If you don't want to use wine just use 2 cups of water. Bring the mixture to  boil. At first it will look a bit cloudy but once it comes to a boil and thickens it looks better. Then add the jello powder. Now that really punches the colour up!

Stir together a couple of minutes then remove from heat. Cool in refrigerator about 30 minutes.
Remove from fridge, fold in the berries and pour into pie shell. 


Back to the fridge it goes to set for several hours.


This is a pretty sweet pie so a small piece will satisfy. 

Adapted from http://www.lemontreedwelling.com



No comments:

Post a Comment