I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Friday, October 23, 2015

Slow Cooker Sweet Mincemeat

It's getting late in the season now, but if you still have green tomatoes this is an excellent use of them. And if you don't have a slow cooker you can find the original stovetop recipe link at the bottom of this page. 

3 cups chopped green tomatoes
3 cups chopped crisp apples (I used spartan)
1/2 cup raisins (I used sultanas)
1/2 chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped candied cherries
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsps Glayva (or rum)
2 tsps cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ginger

Combine everything in your slow cooker. The original recipe called for rum, but I didn't have any so I used Glayva.  If you've never heard of it it's a Scotch based liquor with hints of tangerine, honey and spices. Brandy would be great as well.
Set on high for 30 minutes covered, then reduce to low and continue cooking for 4 hours.  You can stir it once in the 4 hours but try not to do it more than that. After the 4 hours remove the lid, turn up to high again and cook an additional hour. It'll smell great by now! You can stir it several times if you like at this point. (And tasting is definitely recommended!)  
It's good to go like this, but if you prefer a thicker mincemeat mix 2-3 tsp of cornstarch in 1 tsp cold water.  Take a little of the warm juices and stir in.  Now stir this mixture into the mince in the last 1/2 hour of cooking.
Fill sterilized jars to 1/4" from top, cap and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes about 5 cups which you can use for pie or tarts.
Or even as an ice cream topping.....oh ya, I went there : )


Original stove top recipe:

http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.ca/2014/11/green-tomato-sweet-mincemeat.html


2 comments:

  1. What can I sub if I don’t have green tomatoes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used them in this recipe but have heard that zucchini can be a substitute for green tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete