I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Thursday, October 1, 2015

Spicy Ground Pork Pad Thai

This is my first Pad Thai. Never ate it before, never made it before. But I was told it's pretty good. 

6 oz spaghetti
1  lb lean ground pork
1 onion
1 red pepper
2 carrots
1 stalk celery
4 radishes
1/4 tsp powdered garlic
12 oz bean sprouts
1/3 cup peanuts and/or sunflower seeds
handful of spinach, chopped
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsps fresh chopped basil
2 tbsps vegetable oil
3-4 tbsps dried garlic green peas
I found these at an Asian specialty store


Sauce
3 tbsps oyster sauce
3 tbsps brown sugar
3 tbsps chicken broth
2 tbsps white wine vinegar
1-2 tbsps soya sauce
1-2 tsps sriracha hot chili sauce

Cook and drain spaghetti (I know it should be rice noodles, but this works) Toss with a little oil and set aside.

Cut the onion, red pepper, carrots, celery and radishes into thin strips. Set aside.

Mix the sauce ingredients together. I made it with 1 tsp sriracha which was good and spicy enough for me. But my in-house pad thai "expert" said it could have been a bit hotter. Add more sriracha or even a few shakes of hot pepper flakes if you like it hotter.

In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil and cook the julienned veggies until tender crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
In a large wok heat another tbsp of oil. Cook and break up the ground pork until there is no pink meat left.  Sprinkle with a little powdered garlic and toss in the drained spaghetti.

Add the sauce to the wok, stirring and cooking until it starts to thicken.  Make a hole in the middle and add the beaten egg.  Let it sit for 30 seconds then stir it all together to coat everything.
Add the vegetables and the bean sprouts. Cook 2-3 minutes then remove from heat.

Stir in the peanuts/sunflower seeds, spinach, basil and garlic green peas...
and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment