I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Monday, December 14, 2015

Easy Chocolate Mendiants

Actually this is a cheater's way of making mendiants. But at this time of year you need to save time whenever you can.

Buy some melting chocolate disks. DON'T melt them. Well only a few, like the broken ones. Now spread a layer of melted chocolate on the disks. But not too thin, you want it to hold your toppings. Looking back on it, I should have spread the chocolate right to the edge of the disks. Next time.

Garnish with your chosen toppings. I chose dried cranberries, almonds, cashews, walnuts, a few butternuts and pretzel fish.

Boom! Done!

To be honest, the only thing you have to be careful of is the melting of the chocolate. It has to be done properly or your chocolate will cloud. I thought I was smart and melted it in a little metal creamer in a pot of water on the stove.  First off, I shouldn't have used metal....no heat conducting container! Next, it shouldn't have been right in the water.  Double boiler would have been the way to go.  Or microwave the chocolate 10-15 seconds at a time.  When there are soft lumps left, just stir them up.  

So they looked beautiful when first done but then dried with a few cloudy spots on them.  Still ok to eat but doesn't look very nice. 

So I got some white chocolate, melted it VERY slowly in the microwave, and drizzled it over the tops.
Problem solved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment