I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Sunday, December 6, 2015

Tropical Fruitcake

I don't know why some people don't like fruitcake.
I love it!
Maybe you grow to love it.  Seems as though kids like it less than adults. Anyways, I'm rambling...here's the recipe for Tropical Fruitcake. It's best started a couple of months before Christmas so as to have time to cure.  I've still got 3 weeks to feed these ones. Should be ok.

1/2 lb figs, chopped (don't forget to remove the stems)
3/4 lb mixed candied fruit
1 lb mixed red and green glazed cherries
3/4 lb raisins
1/4 lb shredded coconut
1/3 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup booze

Mix everything together up to this point and sit at least overnight or, even better, a few days.
I used pineapple liqueur with 26% alcohol that we picked up in Cuba, but you could use port, whiskey, rum or brandy. You can change up the fruit but it should total 3 1/4 - 3 1/2 lbs.

Add:
1/4 lb walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tsp fresh grated ginger

Mix and set aside:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon

In a large mixer bowl beat together:
1/3 cup softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed

Add:
4 eggs, one at a time
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup cold tea

Fold in the flour mixture, blending well.
Add this batter to the soaked fruit. 

Grease pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.

2 - 6" springform pans
6 - 2X3"  mini loaf pans.

Steam mini loaves 1 hour, 6" rounds for 2 hours. They will each then be baked in a 300 F oven for 1 hr. As I don't have a fruitcake steamer I improvised with my canning pot, using the rack to hold both cakes. I'm feeling very proud of myself for having thought of this! For the loaf pan, simply sit it in a larger pan and cover with foil. Both the steamers should have about a 1/2" of water in them.
Here they are ready to be steamed and the picture on the left is after the steaming is done.
A cake tester should come out clean when done.
Remove to a rack to cool for 12 hours. Yes 12, not a typo! At least for the larger cakes, just remember to cover them with a clean dishtowel.
For the little loaves I poked them a few times with a skewer and drizzled more booze over the tops! I didn't poke the larger ones because I was afraid it would break them.  In hind sight I don't think it would have.

Once cooled wrap the cakes in booze-soaked cheesecloth and over wrap in foil.

Unwrap and give them a little drink every 3-4 days. This should be done by drizzling over and brushing in any pooling of the booze. Keep doing this for 4-6 weeks.  I was a little late getting started with these ones, but they should be good to go by Christmas.  I'm going to keep one 6" cake for next year.  So for that one I'll ripen it with booze for the 6 weeks before putting it away in the freezer. They love getting brushed with booze! They say fruitcake, when cured properly, can sit on the shelf in a cool dry place for a year. But I'd rather trust the freezer.
Had to slice one of the small loaves and give it a try, but will be leaving this 6" beauty until Christmas.

My daughter, who is not a lover of fruitcake, said "Ugh, fruitcake! It's like the blood pudding of desserts!"
Why don't you tell us how you really feel about fruitcake!


Update:

So here's a slice taken Dec 22nd. Beautifully moist and the flavours have developed nicely after only 3 weeks of curing.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment