I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Saturday, January 16, 2016

Homemade Dog Bed

Full disclosure. I can't sew to save my life. But a couple of straight lines on the machine and some hand stitching is all you need to make this dog bed.

You could start with new material and make it like a giant cushion cover similar to these.

http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.ca/2014/01/easy-im-not-kidding-cushion-covers.html

But for this bed for Karma I recycled an old hammock whose ropes had started to fray. The canvas was still like new though. 

You could also use old curtains with tabs as long as the material is sturdy enough for a dog's bed. (This isn't Karma. It was Chanelle keeping an eye on my husband.
You'll meet Karma later in this post)


I folded the material in half and found some old pillows around the house that would fit well.
I read somewhere that dental floss makes a great thread for heavy work so I gave it a try here using it to stitch the pillows together. I overlapped them by a few inches. 
Now with the wrong side out sew the 2 sides together at each side just a little longer than the pillows you want to put inside. Leave about 4 inches not sewn at the tab end and leave the tab end opened.
Fold 1 tab end in to almost the size of the pillows and sew it down like this. I hope these instructions are making sense.
Now turn the work right side out and put the giant pillow inside.
I used a few lengths of cloth ribbon to make ties. I just sewed them onto the pillow at several intervals and tied the tabs together, making the cover easy to take off and wash every now and then.
And this is Karma our 2 year old boxer/shar pei mix baby. She's our rescue furbaby and she is very lovable.
She's learned a lot in the month that she has been with us, but clearly chewing is still a bit of a problem.
Oh well, almost good as new!

5 comments:

  1. The information provided is really great and would love to share it with others.
    blackout curtains qatar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Bed!

    But I have to buy a large dog bed for my dog "Yuro". He has big in size. So that I need to buy the large bed for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice information.Thanks for posting.
    Definitely will buy one for my dog once. I have purchased a bed from Nandog Pet Gear because my pet size is large. That is good. my pet feels comfortable with this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a heartwarming and creative blog post about the homemade dog bed! As a dog lover myself, I can't help but appreciate the love and effort the author put into making their furry friend's life cozier. It's evident that pet parents go above and beyond to ensure their pets' comfort, just like any loving family member deserves.
    Can You Use a Walmart Gift Card for Gas

    ReplyDelete