I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Sushi Style Meatloaf

In an effort to get my daughter to like meatloaf, I thought I would make it to resemble something she does like! Sushi

2 lbs lean ground beef
3 hard-boiled eggs
handful chopped greens (lettuce, spinach, kale)
2/3 cup chopped mushrooms (reserve 2 tbsps)
a few black olives
1 carrot, julienne cut
1 egg (uncooked)
1/2 cup short grain rice (I used calrose)
1 cup water
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup oats
salt and pepper to taste


Glaze:
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp dry mustard
2 tbsps finely chopped mushrooms (reserved from earlier)

Start by boiling 3 eggs to hard-boiled.  Once boiled remove them from the hot water and leave them to sit in cold water. Plunge the carrots sticks into the pot with hot water for 3-5 minutes, then drain.

Cook the 1/2 cup rice in 1 cup water and set aside.
There should be about 2 cups cooked rice.

In a large bowl mix ground beef, 1 uncooked egg, 1 tbsp ketchup, 1 tsp parsley, 1/4 tsp dry mustard, 1/4 cup oats, salt and pepper. 

Spray a 9 X 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.

So here's the thing...I thought starting the loaf on wax paper would be a good idea. Not really, but you can see how the layers come together.  I suggest you start your layers right in the loaf pan.

Take half the meat mixture and press into the bottom of the loaf pan. Next half the rice and half the mushrooms (remember to reserve 2 tbsps). The rice should not go right to the edge of the meat, as I did here. I should have left about 1/2 inch on each side so the top layer of meat would seal together. Oh well, live and learn : )
Add some chopped greens and top with hard-boiled eggs.
(I decided to transfer this thing into the loaf pan now)
Tuck some black olives in between the eggs.

For the top layer I was still stuck on making it on wax paper, but this time there was a definite reason. It would have been hard to layer the carrots and mushrooms on top of the eggs. This layer was easier to lift into place. Spray oil on wax paper and layer the remaining ground beef, rice mushrooms, carrots and greens.

It was a little tricky to do, but I lifted it and flipped it on top of the first half. Now if I had of left a 1/2 inch meat on each side of the bottom layer the meat would have sealed better. Anyways press down to form a nice even top, mix the glaze ingredients together and spread on top.

Into a 350 F oven it goes for 1  1/2 hours.
Let rest 10 - 15 minutes before slicing.

While my daughter is still not a big fan of meatloaf she did say this one was alright.


3 comments:

  1. This is another fantastic recipe! We will try this one on Sunday, my husband will be doing cartwheels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx again, and if you have pics I'd love to see how your meatloaf turned out.

      Delete
    2. Thx again, and if you have pics I'd love to see how your meatloaf turned out.

      Delete