I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Monday, July 11, 2016

Orange and Lemon Curd Muffins

When I first bit into this muffin I was disappointed.
So disappointed that I deleted all my work-in-progress pictures. I thought there would be a lemon curd center. There wasn't. 

But once I ate it I realized the lemon curd made a very moist muffin. So if you like citrus you've got the whole orange and the tart lemon curd in this one to make you pucker up! 

Makes 12 citrusy muffins

1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsps whey powder (optional)

1 cup milk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 orange, unpeeled (reserve zest)

6 tbsps lemon curd

Mix both flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and if using, whey powder together in a large bowl.

In another bowl mix milk, lemon juice, egg and vegetable oil together. Add to the dry ingredients.

Lightly zest the orange and set that aside. Then cut the orange into large chunks. Remove any seeds. Pulse in a food processor leaving bits of peel whole. Incorporate this into the batter, mixing just until combined.

Spoon a couple tablespoons of batter into muffin paper lined pan. Spoon about 1/2 tablespoon of lemon curd into the center of the batter then top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with zest.

Bake at 400F for 20 minutes. Cool on rack at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment