I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Monday, October 10, 2016

Classic Pumpkin Pie

I used the Carnation evaporated milk recipe for this pumpkin pie.
(and full disclosure..store bought pastry dough. Ssh, don't tell anyone)

Ingredients:

1  3/4 cups pumpkin purée (not pie filling)
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsps flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1 can - 354 ml evaporated milk

pastry for a 10" pie

Roll out the pastry to 1/8" thickness, fold it in half to lift onto the pie plate and unfold. Fit it into the sides of the pie plate and trim off excess.

Here's where I had some fun.  I used a small heart cutout and a little pickle fork to make the decorative crust. Take each shape, whatever you choose, and moisten the bottom of each with a little water and place slightly overlapping the last along the edge of the pie shell.

Whisk together the filling ingredients and pour into the shell. (That was easy!)
Brush the crust with a little milk and a sprinkle of sugar.
Bake in the bottom third of the oven at 350 F for 60-70 minutes until set. A knife should come out clean. Let cool completely. During the last 15 minutes I put some extra heart cutouts on a baking sheet and popped them into the oven to make the garnish.

Crust close-up

A little whipped cream and some cinnamon sugar and voilà you're ready for Thanksgiving!


My daughter made this Pecan Cream Cheese Pie.
I'll have to get the recipe from her : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment