I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Monday, January 2, 2017

Easy to Handle Pastry

Pastry is not usually my favourite thing to work with but I have finally found a recipe I like with this one. 

3 cups flour
3 tbsps cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 cup cold water
1 tbsp vinegar

Sift the flour, cornstarch and salt together. I think sifting must be the secret to a better pastry.

Blend in shortening and butter with 2 knives or a pastry blender. Mix cold water and vinegar together and add to the flour mixture. 

Once combined use in your favourite recipe
or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several days. Just leave out on the counter 20 - 30 minutes before using.
You can even paint some food colouring on it for interest.

It worked great with my Green Tomato Sweet Mincemeat!

Here's the link if you're interested

http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.ca/2014/11/green-tomato-sweet-mincemeat.html

No comments:

Post a Comment