I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Sunday, March 5, 2017

Irish Guinness Quick Bread

When March rolls around I am always looking for something to make on St Patrick's Day. I don't know why, I'm not even Irish. But isn't everyone Irish on St Patrick's Day?


So here's a recipe I found at Fox and Briar that is a quick bread with Guinness. Anything with Guinness makes it Irish right?
http://www.foxandbriar.com/irish-guinness-brown-bread/

1 cup oats
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/4 tsps baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsps salt
1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)

12 oz Guinness 
1 cup buttermilk 
5 tbsps melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Set the oven temperature to 425F

Combine the 8 dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Mix the Guinness with buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla. If you don't have buttermilk just add 1-2 tsps vinegar to milk. I opened a can of Guinness for this recipe and after measuring out 12 oz had 1 1/2 oz left to wet my whistle.

Anyways, add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until combined. Pour into a 9 X 5" loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Sprinkle some extra oats on top.


Put the loaf in the oven and immediately TURN DOWN the temperature to 400F. Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes


Then remove from pan and cool completely before slicing.


Have a slice for breakfast or 


as a snack


or enjoy with a nice Beef and Guinness Stew Pie!

Here's the link

http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.ca/2014/01/beef-guinness-stew-pie.html


No comments:

Post a Comment