I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Sunday, April 9, 2017

Shrimp Poke Bowl

My very first attempt at Poke (Poh-Kay) was a big hit !! 




Some prep was required but when suppertime rolled around we simply filled our bowls with rice and topped them off with all kinds of goodies. In fact, these could probably be completely created and stored in the fridge for mealtime. Will make a great cold supper on hot summer nights! Hey how about packing poke for lunch? 




1  1/2 cups calrose short grain rice
3 1/2 cups water
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
Some crumbled nori or chopped spinach

30g - 70/90 size cooked shrimp
3/4 cup edemame beans
1 small carrot, finely shredded
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1/2 sliced avocado
1/2 mango, sliced
1- 2 tsps toasted sesame seeds
More nori and spinach, chopped to garnish

Sriracha mayo:
1/4 cup mayo
1 tbsp sriracha
1/2 tsp soya sauce
A splash of lime

Serves 4

Soak the rice in water to cover for 15 minutes then drain. Bring 3  1/2 cups of water to boil and add the rice, salt and vinegar. Then simmer, half covered, for about 15 minutes. This can be done earlier in the day, just refrigerate until later.

I mixed some of the rice with chopped spinach, some with crumbled nori. I filled the bottom of the bowls with about 1 cup of rice, then layered the different veggies and mango (yes mango worked well with everything else)

Because I am not big on raw fish I used cooked shrimp instead of raw tuna or salmon as I am told poke commonly is made with.

I added chopped spinach or nori on top along with toasted sesame seeds.




Finished it off with sriracha mayo. Just mix the ingredients together, spoon it into a ziplok bag with the corner snipped off to drizzle.



Bam! Poke!



No comments:

Post a Comment