I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Thursday, April 20, 2017

Thai Eggplant and Potatoes

I was at my daughter's place a couple of days ago getting my hair highlighted and looking like some foil-haired alien trying to make contact with my home planet! While waiting for my hair to turn beautiful we were watching an episode of Chuck and Danny's Road Trip on Food Network Canada. The guys were picking up some unique veggies at an outdoor market. An interesting looking one to me was Thai eggplant.

I just happened to see them today at the grocery store and thought I'd give them a try.



Not like the large, dark purple eggplant or aubergine I'm used to seeing, these Thai eggplants are green and quite small.




7-8 small potatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
15 Thai eggplants, quartered
1 large green pepper, diced
2 + 1 tbsps virgin coconut oil
2 tsps fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
2 tbsps soya sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsps water
Chopped pickled hot peppers to garnish (optional)

Heat 2 tbsps coconut oil in a wok to medium high. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes until golden. Add onions and cook for another 5 minutes then remove to a plate.




Add 1 tbsp coconut oil to the wok and add eggplant and green pepper. 



Cook 5-7 minutes until eggplant softens slightly.

Mix ginger, garlic, soya sauce, sugar and salt together. Return potatoes and onions to the wok and add the seasonings. Stir together.




Mix cornstarch and water together and add to the vegetables. Stir to coat, cook 1 minute and serve. Sprinkle chopped hot peppers if using.



Serves 4 as a side




Turned out quite nice I think.

And so did my hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment