I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Sweet Chili Rice Salad

I just read an article about Resistant Starch. Never heard of it before but found out that it's very good for your gut, stimulating good bacteria in there. Which is good for you! Especially if you suffer from IBS, but even if you don't.




Resistant Starch can be found in cooked and cooled potatoes, legumes and rice. So thought I'd give rice salad a try.

2 cups "cooked and cooled" jasmine rice
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped yellow pepper
2 basil leaves, finely chopped
salt and pepper
2 tbsps sweet chili sauce (for chicken)
a few fresh lemon thyme leaves

Once I cooked and cooled my rice I added lemon zest, juice, onion, yellow pepper and basil. I didn't want any oil or mayo, just keeping it nice and light.

But when I looked at it I thought it needed a little bit of red in it.  Looked in my fridge....hmmmm, I wonder if sweet chili sauce will work? Wow! What a good idea! It gave the salad a nice little POP!



Had it yesterday as a side to our Sriracha and Lime Salmon and will be packing the leftovers for lunch.

Here's the link to the salmon recipe:
http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.ca/2017/06/sriracha-and-lime-salmon-with.html

No comments:

Post a Comment