I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Monday, March 26, 2018

Spanish Rice Casserole

A hearty healthy skillet meal using celeriac (for the first time!)



Celeriac !?! What the heck is this weird looking vegetable? I have seen it before but just now decided to try it after reading an interesting Instagram post by @chefbenkelly about how it can be used. 

It has the taste of celery, being celery root, with a texture similar to potato. I think I like it!



1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup diced celeriac
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced red pepper
15 oz tomato sauce
14 oz diced canned tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne
3 cups cooked rice

Start by browning the beef, onion, red pepper and celeriac in a large skillet until there is no pink left to the beef.



Add the remaining ingredients (except the rice) and bring to a boil. Cook until veggies are tender then stir in the cooked rice and heat through. 

Love these one pot meals!



I used my No Fail Rice Pilaf recipe for the cooked rice.
Here's the link:
http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.ca/2017/04/no-fail-rice-pilaf.html

And another use of celeriac...Pimped-Up Store Bought Spaghetti Sauce
http://hotandcoldrunningmom.blogspot.ca/2018/03/pimped-up-store-bought-spaghetti-sauce.html

Spanish Rice adapted from https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mom-s-spanish-rice

No comments:

Post a Comment