I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Breaded Artichokes

These breaded artichokes were delicious, but they didn't start out that way : (


The original recipe was for a baked artichoke au gratin using the same ingredients as below, except the egg. Just sprinkling the breading and cheese over top of the artichokes then broiling. Ugh, they don't even look cooked here!


Meh...disappointing and dry.
So I had to try them again only this time I fried them.
Everything is good fried right?

2 - 14 oz/398 ml cans artichokes, halved
1/4 cup panko
1 tbsp dry parsley
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

1 egg, beaten
vegetable oil for frying
lemon to serve

First off drain the canned artichokes and let them sit on a paper towel for a while to dry. I left mine in a container on the towel in the fridge overnight.


Now you could leave the artichokes whole, but I wanted them more bite-size so I halved them.

Mix the panko, parsley, garlic, parmesan, salt and pepper together in one bowl.  Beat the egg in another. 

Roll artichokes in dry mixture then dip in egg and roll again in the dry.  Fry a few at a time in a 1/2" of oil, turning to brown on all sides until golden.


Drain on a paper towel and serve with lemon wedges.


Way better than baked in my opinion. 
Serve warm or at room temperature as an appetizer or side dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment