I started this blog so my daughters could find all of our family favourite recipes in one place. It has actually grown into more than just the family favourites but also other recipes we've tried out in our kitchen. I don't like to fill up the post with alot of chatter. Sometimes there's a little story to tell, but usually I like to get right to the point. So this is for them, but hope you find some recipes that you like as well. I'll be sharing a lot of recipes, and along the way you'll find some crafty things and maybe some helpful hints too! Welcome!



Thursday, May 3, 2018

Beet, Radish and Carrot Salad

Think you don't like the humble beet? This salad will change your mind! Not only is it pretty but it's sweet and just a little bit peppery. Hold the lettuce and give it a try!



Ingredients:

4 multi coloured beets
3 radishes
1 carrot
radish greens

1  1/2 tbsps apple cider vinegar
3 tbsps olive oil
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp salt (pink Himalayan salt if you have it)
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp dried thyme
pinch of sugar (optional)

First off cook the beets. Some beet salads call for raw beets but I find them too earthy when raw and if you're on the fence about the taste of beets cooked is better, either roasted or boiled. Also, the golden beets are sweeter than red.  

I boiled my beets for 30-35 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain and cover with cold water a few minutes.



Peel off the skin and slice very thinly, along with the radishes and carrot. 

Mix the dressing ingredients together and have a little taste. You may want to add more salt, or in my case I added the pinch of sugar.



You could toss everything together but I opted for plating the veggies and drizzling the dressing.



Either way you're gonna love this salad. Oh, and the radish greens add a nice peppery flavour!



Serves 2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment